Legal use of University of Kentucky Libraries' Electronic Resources
University of Kentucky Libraries' electronic resources are governed by license agreements that limit use to current students and employees of the University of Kentucky, and individuals who are physically present in the UK Libraries. Each user is responsible for ensuring that products are only used for noncommercial, educational, clinical, scholarly, or research purposes. Permitted actions generally include: downloading, viewing, temporarily storing, or printing discrete, reasonable portions of the materials.
The following activities are strictly prohibited:
- Systematically downloading, distributing, or retaining indefinitely substantial portions of information.
- The use of software such as scripts, agents, or robots to harvest information.
- Sharing passwords or other access codes.
- Running open proxy and open terminal services.
- Copying and posting materials on open websites.
- Sharing proprietary or client software connected to information resources.
Users must be aware that violations of these terms may result in loss of access to these resources for the entire University of Kentucky community. People who violate these restrictions may have their UK library privileges revoked. Specific examples of prohibited activities include:
- Sharing an access password with unauthorized users--including family, friends, or co-workers.
- Downloading entire issues of electronic journals, several sequential chapters in online books, or attempting to create large databases from bibliographic files, is generally prohibited by license agreements. Systematic downloading of content -- manually or with specialized software--is detectable by information providers and may result in loss of that information service to the entire University of Kentucky campus.
- Engaging in actions intended to circumvent or defeat access control mechanisms of the libraries or information provider may result in revocation of library privileges and other campus, civil or criminal disciplinary measures.
Use of these resources is also covered under the Policy Governing Access to and Use of University of Kentucky Computing Resources. Each licensed product may have more specific or additional permissions or prohibitions. In many instances, walk-in users (individuals who are physically present on the University of Kentucky campus and who are not University of Kentucky students or employees) are restricted in the amount of material they may download or print by the specific agreement for a license.
Questions about the appropriate use of licensed information resources may be directed to the Electronic Resources Librarian.